Eggnog. Any thoughts on eggnog? Personally I like it a lot – when I’m in the mood for it. And remember that I’ve got some… Mister Meike’s Kitchen likes it with lemonade at Christmas. I think that’s just plain wrong but different tastes and all that.
Anyway. We’ve had two nearly empty bottles lurking at the back of the cupboard so I decided to try out this Eggnog Pound Cake. Years and years ago we made lots of cake with eggnog but I haven’t had one for a long time.
I didn’t have quite enough eggnog so made it up with a splash of milk. Also, I only used half the amount of sugar and that was sufficient. I made the cake in a ceramic bundt pan and I was awfully scared the it would stick and I wouldn’t be able to get it out. I therefore greased it really well, maybe too well and dusted it with a fair amount of flour. The recipe says to leave the baked cake in the tin for 20 minutes before turning it out – and, miraculously, this worked really well. The cake just slid out.
At first I thought the cake wouldn’t rise. But eventually it did, beautifully. It just seemed to be taking quite a long time.
I glazed the cake – not only to cover up the bits of butter from greasing the pan, also to keep the cake fresh. I swirled the empty eggnog bottles with milk and used that for the glaze instead of neat eggnog. It was a bit more child-friendly that way.
It’s a lovely cake that smells and tastes awfully good. Everybody here loved it!
I’ve started my first big knitting project of the year and so knitting is all I do when I have some free time. Well, not quite true, I do some baking too but writing about it has somehow lost its priority spot. But at least I sometimes knit in the kitchen (when my iPad has run out of power and I need to plug it in because I’m hooked on Nurse Jackie on Netflix…)
I’m making a tunic for Miss Meike’s Kitchen and therefore I have to hurry up before she’s outgrown that size. (Although to be honest, that should not be too soon – the tunic is two sizes up from the one she’s currently wearing…)
I’ve been hankering after cinnamon rolls for some time. It’s been my Christmas craving. I’ve tried out a more Christmasy variation this time: Apple Gingerbread Cinnamon Rolls. The recipe is here.
I didn’t change anything about the dough which is quite heavy and dense. It needed longer to rise than just one hour.
I don’t think the original recipe requires enough apples for this, they barely covered the rolled-out dough. I’ll try double the amount next time. And I only used two thirds of the sugar for the filling, it was sweet enough for us.
I cut the rolled-up dough into 16 pieces, not 12, because that’s easier to do and the rolls are a bit smaller.
Covered, fittingly with a blessing, they went into the fridge overnight.
I was rather disappointed because they didn’t rise noticeably during their stay in the fridge but they had oozed a lot of apple juice.
The rolls rose during baking though so all was well in the end and the apple juice had turned into a thick syrup.
These are lovely rolls, something quite different and I can imagine they’d be rather nice for a wintery breakfast. I didn’t bother making a glaze because they are rather sticky thanks to the syrup.
We started 2015 with a lot of sorting and tidying up. It’s been a lot of work but it’s also been very satisfying. I personally started the New Year by unravelling last year’s work (I’d made a hat for me but it was just a tad too small), which was rather symbolic … of symbolism …
I still owe you a picture of the inside of our New Year’s Pie. It was tasty as every year and went down well. Here it is:
We started the year with my Dad’s birthday. This year I made a Zucchini Pound Cake. I had zucchini in the freezer for this recipe (the last portion is for a Zucchini Bread, coming soon…).* I used this recipe from i am baker. It’s the first recipe I’ve ever tried that requires cake flour. I’d never come across it before so had to google it. I found my answer on Nigella Lawson’s website and decided to try it her way. Basically, it’s normal flour mixed with corn starch and sieved a couple of times.
I used only half the amount of sugar required in the recipe. Absolutely sufficient.
The cake turned out well, with nice big air holes in it.
The zucchini needs to be dry for this cake and I think I dried it out too much, if that’s possible at all. It was really difficult to stir it in and so I ended up with a layer of zucchini near the bottom of the cake. It was alright, it just didn’t look that nice.
I made a lemon glaze for the cake, as per the original recipe.
I was quite surprised when I cut the cake and sampled a bit, it was rather dry but when we actually ate the cake, it was okay. Even a couple of days later it hadn’t gone noticeably more dry. Another zucchini recipe to keep….
* 15 Jan. 2015: I saw the other day that the blog where I saw the recipe I was going to try out has been closed down. Since I hadn’t saved the recipe anywhere, the frozen batch of zucchini will go into a vegetable curry…