Today I’ve got for you one of my staple sourdough breads and an experiment. The sourdough is this one and the experiment, well, you’ll have to read on.
However, I’ve got something to talk to you about: I’ve been wondering about rye flour for a while. When they are required in English recipes, there is only a distinction between light and dark rye flour. I’ve got four different ones in my flour box – so which is which?
Shipton Mill provide an answer, light rye corresponds to type 997 and dark with 1350. So I wasn’t quit right when I guessed dark was whole grain flour. And then there’s also type 1150. The type refers to the “amount of ash (measured in milligrams) obtained from 100 g of the dry mass of this flour.” What is left over is the mineral content of the grain.
It’s time for another Roggenmischbrot, which I’ve made before in different variations. This time, I’ve stuck to the recipe, only added some bread spice and used type 1350 for the sourdough and 1150 for the dough. There is also some strong wheat flour in the mix to lighten it up a bit. I added bread spice to give it a bit of body and put it in my springform ring for proving and baking. Otherwise it spreads out too much since you can’t shape the dough in any meaningless way and this way, you get at least a bit of height to your loaf even though it look rather artificially round.
I’ve made this for a family gathering tomorrow, we’ll see how it goes down (literally!).
Now, my experiment. Last weekend, I made an Argentinian Chimichurri Sauce. I used it to marinate a chicken and then had quite a fair bit left which I put in a jar. As I didn’t want it to go off, I thought I could make a bread similar to this Pesto Bread I came along on Pinterest. So first of all I needed to drain the liquid off the herbs from the Chimichurri:
Then I used a basic white loaf recipe and replaced the butter and most of the water with the sauce liquid. That didn’t work out too great, it’s quite a dense and stodgy loaf but I wanted to use all of the sauce up so, hey, for a one-off it’s turned out alright. Instead of rolling out the dough, spreading the herbs and then rolling it up again, I just shaped the dough into a rough rectangle, put the herbs on one half, folded it over, pushed my finger tips into the dough a few times, folded it over, pushed etc. I did this a few times until everything was rather well incorporated. I didn’t want to get the sort of separating layers that normally result from rolling up the dough. It tastes lovely with steamed cauliflower and melted butter or with tzatziki. It also smells fantastic. So definitely not a failed experiment!